Poverty and the environment
- Advocacy and awareness raising about poverty‐environment linkages among socially and economically disadvantaged communities
- Influencing national and international policies and processes to ensure that poverty reduction is integrated in international environmental processes
- Developing and supporting community‐based initiatives that improve the productivity, conservation and sustainability of local natural resource bases.
- Supporting community based environmental conservation programs by linking conservation to income generating potentials
- Supporting the planting of indigenous crops and trees to build the local natural resource base and to improve the environment
- Strengthening the role of women in natural resource management and supporting them in their accessing of ecosystems services and natural livelihoods.
- Advocacy about climate justice by highlighting the impact of climate change on community livelihoods
- Promoting the development of indigenous practices and knowledge to tackle drought and desertification
- Promoting tree planting to combat climate change and to encourage agricultural productivity
- Promoting the application of local and indigenous know-how and innovations in supporting climate change adaptation and combating desertification
- Increasing farmers’ adoption of climate-smart eco-agriculture practices to increase farm productivity and incomes, and make agriculture more resilient to climate change, while also contributing to mitigation
Water, Health and Sanitation
- Supporting water and health initiatives in order to combat water‐borne diseases through access to safe water and education for hygiene and sanitation
- Developing and facilitating the implementation of technology options in water supply and environmental sanitation that are cost‐effective
- Advocating for support for the provision of basic water supplies and sanitation services in disadvantaged local communities
- Promoting education and public participation in the control of waste and water pollution
Traditional and indigenous knowledge for sustainable development
- Promoting the development and application of indigenous and traditional knowledge applications in climate change adaptation, natural resources management, agriculture and combating desertification and drought
- Identifying and documenting species considered threatened or of high priority to local communities based on their traditional knowledge in order to restore local plant biodiversity.
Environment and human rights
- Promoting environmental justice and human rights by enabling the poor to access and benefit from natural resources, particularly for those whose livelihoods depend directly on them
- Promoting pro‐poor dimensions in environmental and sustainable development policies and practices at national, regional and international levels
- Promoting the effective use of the rule of law to protect the poor against environmental pollution and damage