What We Do
- NATURAL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- Enhancing community based environmental conservation programmes by linking conservation to income-generating potential
- Undertaking tree planting and nurseries development to build local natural resource base and to improve the environment
- Identifying, documenting, domesticating and propagating socio-economic important and endangered species including medicinal and food plants;
- Promoting sustainable agriculture and traditional farming practices, building on indigenous knowledge in partnership with farmers
- Supporting the use of ecological agricultural practices such as composting, water and soil conservation activities, agroforestry to increase crop productivity
- Supporting farmer field schools to develop and disseminate the knowledge base on sustainable agricultural practices and sustainable use of natural resources based on participatory research, farmers’ knowledge and experience
- Enhancing the capacity of communities residing in or adjacent to protected areas to participate in protected area management
- INDIGENOUS KNOWLEDGE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
- Empowering farmers and communities to protect their rights to resources, support their knowledge and cultures, and ensure their participation in decision making,
- Enhancing the capacity of communities residing in or adjacent to protected areas to participate in protected area management through providing appropriate incentives, training and education;
- Promoting innovative ways of improving benefit flows to people in and around protected areas;
- DESERTIFICATION AND CLIMATE CHANGE
- Promoting afforestation and re-afforestation programmes with fast and climate change-resistant growing trees and fruit tree plantations to combat erosion and provide fuel wood;
- Promoting climate-smart agriculture techniques, water harvesting and conservation;
- Developing and integrating traditional and indigenous knowledge to strengthen climate-smart agriculture;
- Increasing farmers’ adoption of climate-smart eco-agriculture practices to increase farm productivity and incomes, and make agriculture more resilient to climate change, while also contributing to mitigation.
- Promoting the application of local and indigenous know-how and innovations in supporting climate change adaptation and combating desertification;
- Documenting and disseminating good practice including indigenous practices used to address droughts and desertification;
- WOMEN AND NATURAL RESOURCES
- Supporting the critical role played by African women in the conservation and management of natural resources as well as initiating and strengthening policies and interventions that minimize gender inequalities
- Strengthening the role of women in natural resource management and support women to gain access to ecosystems services and livelihoods
- WATER AND SANITATION
- Creating awareness of the linkages between water quality, poor sanitation practices and health
- Promoting networking, advocacy and awareness building and exchange of lessons learnt and best practice adopted by other stakeholders in water and sanitation projects
- Organizing water and sanitation education and training at schools and community levels
- Assisting local NGOs to enable them to advocate national policy development and changes in the advancement of water and sanitation services that take into consideration community needs, goals and objectives
- Advocating support for provision of basics water supply and sanitation services in disadvantaged local communities
- Contributing to influencing the international community to stress the prioritization of water as a key area that needs support for poverty alleviation and sustainable development in Africa.
- ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AND AWARENESS
- Gathering, processing, disseminating and exchanging regional and international information on environmental and sustainable development issues
- Supporting the development of capacity of African NGOs and community-based organizations to respond to environmental issues through improved environmental education resources and training activities
- Organizing short courses, training programmes, seminars and workshops on a range of subjects related to environment and sustainable development.
- ENVIRONMENT AND HUMAN RIGHTS
- Campaigning with the representatives of the poor to place the environment and human rights within national legislations
- Help communities pursue environmental justice by enhancing communities’ access to natural resources and secure their rights through increased capacity to participate in the management of these resources;
- Help people and communities understand environment laws relevant to environmental pollution.
- Increasing awareness about the impact of environmental pollution, drought and desertification on community’s livelihoods and wellbeing.